Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Religion & Sexuality
Sun September 25, 2011
2 Ohio churches debate gay issue with billboards
The ongoing debate in churches regarding homosexuality is being argued on 10 billboards in northwest Ohio. The Toledo Blade reports that Toledo's Central United Methodist church posted a single roadside billboard in April that said that being gay is a gift from God. That has led the minister at Church on Strayer to offer an opposite view.
The Maumee megachurch bought nine billboards last week proclaiming that being gay is not a gift from God. The Rev. Tony Scott of the Church on Strayer says he has been getting hate mail but that his church's billboards are not about hate.
The Rev. Bill Barnard, Central's pastor, says the most surprising thing to him about the Church on Strayer's billboards was how much the the nine billboards must have cost.
Free Speech or Hate Speech (or both?)