Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Veteran treasure hunter solves the last 'Wyoming Riddle'
Wed March 6, 2013
The Affordable Care Act is coming
Like it or not- for it or against it - Obamacare is coming, and coming soon.
The Affordable Care Act requires that most Americans carry some form of health insurance beginning next January or pay a fee. And by October 1, less than seven months from now, states need to have health care exchanges in place where consumers can buy the required insurance.
Last week, the State House agreed to let the state spend a federal grant worth nearly $31 million to help set up that health care exchange.
What would it mean for Michigan to partner with Uncle Sam in running this exchange?
For that answer, we spoke with Helen Levy. Levy is a research associate professor at the Institute for Social Research, the Gerald Ford School of Public Policy, and the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan.
Politics & Government