Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
- Study finds that an oil spill under Mackinac Straits would be “deathblow” to Northern Michigan
Mon February 11, 2013
Another Michigan man dies from tainted steroid injections
A 73 year old man from Grand Traverse County is the latest Michigander to die in connection with a batch of tainted steroid injections.
13 people in Michigan have now died. Three more Michiganders have died in Indiana.
The steroid injections were given to relieve back pain. But, the injection contained a fungal contamination.
Angela Minicuci is a spokeswoman for the Department of Community Health. She says the number of new cases have dwindled to just a few every two weeks. But Minicuci says the infections popping up now may continue to surface for some time.
“Those don’t have…an incubation period. We’re continuing to see those arise,” says Minicuci, “So we anticipate we’re going to get to the end of it just because of how slow the case count is growing.”
About 18 hundred people in Michigan received the tainted steroid injections. 244 people in Michigan have gotten sick or died since last fall.