Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Veteran treasure hunter solves the last 'Wyoming Riddle'
Mon February 11, 2013
Another Michigan man dies from tainted steroid injections
A 73 year old man from Grand Traverse County is the latest Michigander to die in connection with a batch of tainted steroid injections.
13 people in Michigan have now died. Three more Michiganders have died in Indiana.
The steroid injections were given to relieve back pain. But, the injection contained a fungal contamination.
Angela Minicuci is a spokeswoman for the Department of Community Health. She says the number of new cases have dwindled to just a few every two weeks. But Minicuci says the infections popping up now may continue to surface for some time.
“Those don’t have…an incubation period. We’re continuing to see those arise,” says Minicuci, “So we anticipate we’re going to get to the end of it just because of how slow the case count is growing.”
About 18 hundred people in Michigan received the tainted steroid injections. 244 people in Michigan have gotten sick or died since last fall.