Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Tue December 4, 2012
Blue Cross Blue Shield legislation delayed
A state House panel has delayed a hearing, on a proposal to end the tax exempt status of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
The legislation would transform the charitable trust into a customer-owned non-profit.
The House Insurance Committee Chairman says lawmakers need to work out concerns with parts of the legislation.
The committee is expected to reconvene this week.
Supporters say the proposal would modernize Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, and allow it to be taxed and regulated as its competitors are.
Critics argue that it would reduce oversight of a company that controls 70 percent of the market.
The legislation passed the state Senate in October.
Politics & Government