Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Awkward: UAW official praises Democratic candidate for governor while the GOP incumbent listens
- If its name is any indication, this winter storm headed for Michigan could be really fierce
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Michigan Republican party fails to address Dave Agema's bigotry and hatred
- In this morning's news...
Thu April 14, 2011
Detroit sends layoff notices to all its teachers
Layoff notices are being delivered to each and every teacher in the Detroit Public Schools.
It’s an unprecedented move for the troubled school district. Hundreds of teachers have been issued notices in previous years. But Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb says the circumstances are different this time around.
"This year, because of our declining student enrollment, because of the possibility of some of our schools becoming charters, and of course school closures, we decided to send layoff notices to our entire membership."
Not all employees who receive layoff notices will lose their jobs. Bobb says the final layoff number will be determined once the district knows what its budget is and how many schools it converts to charters.
The Detroit Federation of Teachers’ contract requires notice to be given to members before their jobs are cut.