Detroit Symphony Orchestra musicians, management to head back to bargaining table
The players have been on strike since Oct. 4.
DSO management and the musicians have submitted new proposals to a federal mediator. Both sides’ proposals revolve around a $36 million compensation package. That dollar amount roughly splits the difference between the two sides’ previous proposals and was suggested by U.S. Senator Carl Levin and then Governor Jennifer Granholm last month.
At the time, DSO Board Chair Stanley Frankel said a "$36 million compensation package is beyond what every consultant and our Board have said is feasible," while the musicians said the proposal provided "a path to a fair resolution":
"The $36 million figure will definitely require further difficult sacrifice from the musicians. Some contentious issues will remain to be worked out. However, we believe that with good will on both sides we can go forward under this framework to reach a contract that will preserve a DSO of which we can all continue to be proud."
Neither side would comment on the new proposals, but the musicians did confirm that full negotiations are scheduled for later this week.
The DSO reported an $8.8 million budget deficit for the 2010 fiscal year.