Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
- Study finds that an oil spill under Mackinac Straits would be “deathblow” to Northern Michigan
Politics & Government
Fri September 27, 2013
Flint residents paint a different picture of 'the most violent city in America'
There's no way to capture a town, or a place, or a person through one story.
It's just not possible. It's what Nigerian storyteller Chimamanda Ngozi calls "the danger of a single story."
People in Flint live with a single story told over and over about their city - that it's "the most violent city in the U.S."
A Tumblr page has emerged painting a different image of the city.
"The Most Violent City in America" blog says it's "inspired by numerous photo essays captured by outsiders..."
This blog was created by a local city resident to juxtapose the negative perception of one of America's great cities.
It features people like this:
And photos with sarcastic photo captions -- like this one of revealing a "hard, street-worn resident tagging a wall":
The blog encourages people to submit their own images of Flint.