Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Awkward: UAW official praises Democratic candidate for governor while the GOP incumbent listens
- If its name is any indication, this winter storm headed for Michigan could be really fierce
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Michigan Republican party fails to address Dave Agema's bigotry and hatred
- In this morning's news...
Wed February 27, 2013
Head Start is not a failure
The debate over federal spending cuts has made Head Start a major topic of conversation in Washington. Leaders from both parties warn that tens of thousands of kids will lose a chance at Head Start’s preschool program, if the across-the-board spending cuts are allowed to happen.
To some critics, cutting Head Start would be a good thing. They think it is a failure, and not worth the money.
To analyze the argument,we took a closer look at the study often used to criticize Head Start's effectiveness and visit a Head Start classroom in Grand Rapids.
Listen to the full story on our State of Opportunity page.