Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Veteran treasure hunter solves the last 'Wyoming Riddle'
Politics & Government
Thu September 6, 2012
Kwame Kilpatrick's federal corruption trial underway in Detroit
Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s public corruption trial officially started in federal court Thursday.
Kilpatrick, his father Bernard Kilpatrick, longtime friend and former city contractor Bobby Ferguson, and former water department head Victor Mercado are on trial together.
The four men face a number of charges, centering around allegations that they ran the water department as something like a criminal enterprise.
Jury selection was underway Thursday.
Defense lawyers questioned potential jurors’ closely about their feelings on race, particularly toward African Americans.
They also posed questions about jurors’ feelings toward witnesses who cooperate with the government in exchange for more lenient sentences.
Jury selection is expected to continue into next week.