Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Politics & Government
Tue November 20, 2012
Lansing city council irked by mayor's trip to Italy
Lansing city council members are upset that the city’s mayor left last week on a trip to Europe and didn’t bother to tell them.
Mayor Virg Bernero is on a week-long ‘economic mission’ in Italy. But city council members first heard the mayor was gone from news reports.
The mayor’s spokesman says Bernero remains in contact with the city by phone and email.
Councilwoman Carol Wood says that's not good enough if there is a sudden crisis.
“Having to make split second decisions… doesn’t happen with waiting for the mayor to send us an email,” says Wood.
Wood says this is just another example of the mayor disrespecting the city council. The city attorney says the mayor’s failure to notify the city council of his trip is not a violation of any city rules.