Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
Mon April 1, 2013
Many vacant Flint buildings burn multiple times
FLINT, Mich. (AP) - A newspaper's analysis says that many vacant Flint buildings that caught fire since 2008 ended up burning multiple times.
The Flint Journal reports Monday that of the 1,631 suspicious fires at vacant buildings in the city from 2008 to 2012, more than a quarter involved structures that burned multiple times. In all, 416 structures caught fire multiple times during the period.
The report comes as Flint deals with a high rate of fires that's stretched thin the fire department.
One property was the site of nine suspicious fires in four years before it was knocked down in 2011. Today, the site is a vacant lot.
More than a quarter of Flint's housing stock is vacant, and the city had more than 2,280 buildings slated for demolition as of December.