Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Wed August 22, 2012
New 'Pure' Michigan license plates unveiled (PHOTOS)
This morning, Secretary of State Ruth Johnson unveiled two new Michigan license plates.
(Click through the photos above to see Michigan plates through the ages.)
Standing on the Mackinac Bridge, Johnson revealed two newly designed plates that promote the state's Pure Michigan campaign. A simple blue and white version will eventually replace the state's standard plate, but another more colorful option featuring the Mackinac Bridge will also be available.
The plates will be available beginning early next year.
Michigan produces about 1.4 million license plates annually. Secretary of State officials say they're made by inmates at a correctional facility in the southern Michigan community of Adrian.
-Elaine Ezekiel, Michigan Radio Newsroom