Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
- Terri Lynn Land was a good secretary of state, but she isn't up to date on issues
Tue February 12, 2013
Stateside: Uncertified teachers at Muskegon Heights charter school system
The following is a summary of a previously recorded interview. To hear the complete segment, click the audio above.
Lester Graham is filling in for Cynthia Canty on today's Stateside.
In her recent report, Michigan Radio's Lindsey Smith found that teachers in the new charter school system in Muskegon Heights were hired without teacher certification.
The entire public school system in Muskegon Heights was recently turned over to a private company.
While there are teachers who do have certification, there are others who do not.
The question is, what will happen with those teachers that have not been certified?
We sat down with reporter Lindsey Smith, who joined us from Grand Rapids.
She told us how it became evident that there were uncertified teachers working in the school system. She also tells us what it was like speaking to the parents in Muskegon Heights and their reactions.