OpinionMore 'dark money' will influence politics in Michigan if Snyder doesn't veto
The Environment ReportGo lake trout! Native fish overcome seemingly ‘insurmountable’ challenges in Lake Huron
Politics & GovernmentIn his farewell speech Bing says, 'I will remain involved in Detroit's transformation'
Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Michigan Republican party fails to address Dave Agema's bigotry and hatred
Tue December 4, 2012
What did we get for all those tax breaks to corporations?
A New York Times analysis casts doubt on the effectiveness of all those tax breaks Michigan cities have been giving to corporations in return for new jobs - or just to keep them from leaving town.
The story prominently features tax breaks given to General Motors, before the automaker filed for bankruptcy.
In the end, the money that towns across America gave General Motors did not matter.....
One township, Ypsilanti, Mich., is suing over the automaker’s departure. “You can’t just make these promises and throw them around like they’re spare change in the drawer,” said Doug Winters, the township’s attorney.