Updated at 1:28 a.m. ET The federal government is now in a partial shutdown after Congress failed to pass a stopgap measure to keep funding going ahead of a midnight deadline. It's an unprecedented situation given that shutdowns usually happen in times of divided government. But this is the first time it's happened with one party controlling both Congress and the White House. Since most government offices won't open again until Monday, there is time over the weekend for legislators to reach a...
Today is the fourth day of a sentencing hearing for Larry Nassar, the former Michigan State University sports doctor charged with sexually assaulting young girls and women under the guise of medical treatment.
News Headlines from NPR
- Saunas Are A Hot Trend, And They Might Even Help Your Health
- Sexual Assault Survivor Speaks Out Against Former USA Gymnastics Doctor
- Government Shuts Down As Congress Fails To Pass Funding Measure
- Senate Set To Vote On Government Funding Bill Before Midnight
- LA Coroner: Tom Petty's Death Was Due To An Accidental Overdose