It was a close call for Freedom House , the one-of-a-kind Detroit shelter that provides housing, legal aid and a host of other services to help asylum seekers. Its doors were in danger of closing after its annual grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) was slashed by more than half.
News Headlines from NPR
- Kevin Breel: What Can Depression Teach Us About Comedy?
- Sandi Toksvig: Can Social Change Start With Laughter?
- Mubarak Walks Free, In What Could Be The Final Twist For Egypt's Former Dictator
- Trump Faces Most Consequential Day Of His Presidency So Far
- London Attack Update: One More Victim Dies, And Police Make More Arrests