Michigan Radio Great Michigan Read Story Writing Contest Official Rules
Three winners will be chosen. Their essays will be recorded and aired on Michigan Radio and posted on Michigan Radio’s website. Winners will also receive an autographed copy of “Annie’s Ghosts” by Steve Luxenberg. Entries must be submitted by Sunday, May 4, 2014.
1. CONTEST SPONSOR. The Great Michigan Read Story Writing Contest ("the Contest") is sponsored by Michigan Radio. ("the "sponsor").
2. HOW TO ENTER. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST on May 4, 2014. To enter, go to http://michiganradio.org/ and click on the link "Story Writing Contest." Fill out the personal information form and upload your entry following the online instructions. Only one (1) entry per person. If you attempt to submit more than one (1) entry by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations or any other methods, all of your entries may be disqualified. There is no fee to submit an entry. By submitting an entry to the Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and acknowledges that the decisions of the sponsor shall be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
3. QUALIFIED ENTRIES. To be qualified for the Contest, an entry must include only one (1) essay. The Essay should be on the theme “Hidden Branches of your Family Tree: Unexpected stories that changed the way you think of yourself or your family.”
The Essay must (a) be in the English language; (b) be no longer than 120 words; (c) be wholly the original work of the entrant, written solely by the entrant; (d) not be copied from any other source; (e) not have been previously broadcast or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format; (f) not be in the public domain; (g) not be in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity; and (h) not include any language or other content that is indecent, inappropriate, morally objectionable or otherwise unfit for dissemination or broadcast, as determined by the sponsor in its sole discretion. Entries not satisfying these criteria in any respect may be disqualified. If the sponsor, in its sole discretion, has reason to believe that any entry contains any material that may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, or that the use or broadcast or such entry in the manner described herein may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, the sponsor may immediately disqualify such entry.
4. WINNER SELECTION. Judging will commence at the time the Contest begins and continue until all entries submitted prior to the Contest end time have been reviewed. The Contest judges shall be persons as may be selected by the sponsor in its sole discretion (the "Judge"). The Judges will select three (3) Contest Winners, based on the following criteria, weighted equally: (a) following the theme of the contest; (b) originality; and (c) overall quality of writing. The Contest Winners will be notified on or about May 14, 2014.
5. GRANT OF RIGHTS. By submitting an Essay entry, the entrant grants to sponsor (i) the right to edit the Essay for grammar and spelling; and (ii) a non-exclusive, assignable, perpetual, license to produce, publish, distribute, transmit and exhibit the Essay and any portions thereof in any format by any and all means, uses and media, whether audio, print, audiovisual or otherwise, now or hereafter known, throughout the universe in all languages. Entrant further agrees that sponsor shall have the first right to distribute the Essay unless sponsor waives that right in writing.
6. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. By entering the Contest, each entrant grants permission to the sponsor to use his/her name, photograph, likeness, voice, and/or biographical information for sponsor 's programming, publication, publicity, advertising and all other promotional purposes without compensation, review or approval, unless prohibited by law. The sponsor reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend this Contest due to any of an act of God; unavoidable accident; epidemic; fire; blackout; act of public enemy; war, riot or civil commotion; enactment, rule, order or act of government or governmental instrumentality or tribunal; strike, lockout or other labor dispute; inclement weather; the recapture of any time period scheduled for the live broadcast of a program for an event of national importance or emergency; failure of technical facilities; failure of essential production, or technical personnel to appear or be available for production or broadcast; or other cause beyond its control. sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, mutilated, misdirected, mis-delivered, or delayed entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of entries.