Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
A journalist, author and scholar, Changing Gears senior editor Micheline Maynard joins Changing Gears after 10 years at the New York Times. She was a senior business correspondent, reporter and Detroit bureau chief, covering the automobile industry’s devastating decline, as well as the airline industry.
A frequent guest on NPR, she has taught at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan as well as the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, and is the author of four books.
Her best-known, The End of Detroit: How The Big Three Lost Their Grip on the American Car Market, published in 2003, sparked a lively discussion about the future of the industry. Her latest, The Selling of the American Economy, published in 2009, looks at investments by foreign companies in the United States and their impact on communities, workers and politics.
Micki is a native of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and received a bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University as well as a master’s degree from Columbia University. She has held a series of fellowships, including the Knight-Bagehot Fellowship in Business and Economics Journalism at Columbia and the Knight-Wallace Fellowship at Michigan.