Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- If its name is any indication, this winter storm headed for Michigan could be really fierce
Poverty in Michigan
Thu September 16, 2010
14% of Michiganders Lived in Poverty in 2009
According to new data released today by the U.S. Census Bureau, 14% of people in Michigan last year lived in poverty. As the Detroit News reports that is, "the highest for the state since it hit 14.1 percent in 1994.'' Nationally, in 2009, the poverty rate was 14.3%. That means 1 in 7 people, or 43.6 million Americans, lived in poverty last year.