Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Poverty in Michigan
Thu September 16, 2010
14% of Michiganders Lived in Poverty in 2009
According to new data released today by the U.S. Census Bureau, 14% of people in Michigan last year lived in poverty. As the Detroit News reports that is, "the highest for the state since it hit 14.1 percent in 1994.'' Nationally, in 2009, the poverty rate was 14.3%. That means 1 in 7 people, or 43.6 million Americans, lived in poverty last year.