Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Sun October 9, 2011
16-mile bike lane project connects neighborhoods
A series of bicycle lanes stretching 16 miles and connecting three neighborhoods in southwest Detroit has been completed. The Greenlink is part of the city's urban master plan for non-motorized transportation and allows bike riders safe access to the three historic neighborhoods.
A $500,000 Michigan Department of Transportation grant funded 80 percent of the project. Other grants and fundraisers paid for the other 20 percent.
The Greenlink joins the Detroit RiverWalk along east Jefferson and the Dequindre Cut on the city's east side in providing more access to bicyclists.
The Greater Corktown Development Corp. and the Southwest Detroit Business Association worked with Giffels-Webster, a civil engineering and surveying firm, on the project. It's the first large scale segment of the non-motorized master plan to be completed.