Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Wed July 31, 2013
2013 labor negotiations started in Lansing today
There was an important handshake this afternoon in Lansing.
UAW President Bob King shook hands with state government officials to officially launch the start of 2013 labor negotiations.
UAW Local 6000's contract with the state expires at the end of 2014. But the state needs to finalize the next contract by the end of this year in order to get it funded in next year's budget. Local 6000 represents 17,000 state employees.
Let's look at what the big issues might be in the negotiations.
Rick Pluta, Michigan Public Radio Network's Lansing bureau chief, joined us today.
Listen to the full interview above.