Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Arts & Culture
Tue August 28, 2012
Activist Tom Hayden to commemorate the Port Huron Statement tonight
Activist Tom Hayden will be in Port Huron tonight to commemorate the Port Huron Statement.
A group of university students wrote the statement fifty years ago at a UAW retreat center north of Port Huron.
Hayden was one of the main participants, who was in his early twenties at the time.
The 25,000 word document addressed racism, poverty, the Cold War, and the nuclear arms race.
It was one of the first times there'd been a formal call-to-action for students to be part of a movement pushing for social change.
Politics & Government