Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Arts & Culture
Tue August 28, 2012
Activist Tom Hayden to commemorate the Port Huron Statement tonight
Activist Tom Hayden will be in Port Huron tonight to commemorate the Port Huron Statement.
A group of university students wrote the statement fifty years ago at a UAW retreat center north of Port Huron.
Hayden was one of the main participants, who was in his early twenties at the time.
The 25,000 word document addressed racism, poverty, the Cold War, and the nuclear arms race.
It was one of the first times there'd been a formal call-to-action for students to be part of a movement pushing for social change.
Politics & Government