Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Arts & Culture
Tue August 28, 2012
Activist Tom Hayden to commemorate the Port Huron Statement tonight
Activist Tom Hayden will be in Port Huron tonight to commemorate the Port Huron Statement.
A group of university students wrote the statement fifty years ago at a UAW retreat center north of Port Huron.
Hayden was one of the main participants, who was in his early twenties at the time.
The 25,000 word document addressed racism, poverty, the Cold War, and the nuclear arms race.
It was one of the first times there'd been a formal call-to-action for students to be part of a movement pushing for social change.
Politics & Government