Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Mon April 11, 2011
Affordable housing conference opens in Lansing
More than 15 hundred people will meet in Lansing this week to discuss Michigan’s affordable housing needs.
Jess Sobol is the director of operations in the Community Development division within the Michigan Housing Development Authority. He says this week’s conference will give people from the non-profit and for-profit worlds a chance to meet and discuss ways of reclaiming ‘sustainable’ communities.
“We’re in a situation where there is more housing units than there are people. Which is one of the reasons so many of them are in bad shape….because we have lost so much population.”
This is the 13th year for the conference that has grown into one of the largest of its kind in the nation.