Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Living off the grid can be illegal
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Those who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
Mon January 30, 2012
After a reluctant move, finding the right cultural vibe in Portland, Ore.
Name: Zoe Johnson
Midwest Home: Detroit, MI
New Home: Portland, OR
My former husband worked for a company which was a support arm of the auto industry. We left the city of Detroit and moved to Portland. I have mixed feelings about the move but overall it was a good choice. I am self-employed which has been challenging.
My youngest daughter, who is 25, just moved from the Metro Detroit area in October of 2011. She had been without employment in Michigan for several years. She found a job immediately after arriving in the Portland Metro area and is much happier overall.
I would not move back to the Midwest. The culture and mindset is much different, the economy has suffered, and the infrastructure is grounded on old belief systems.
The values of the people here in the Pacific Northwest are more closely aligned with my own philosophy and values.