Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Mon January 30, 2012
After a reluctant move, finding the right cultural vibe in Portland, Ore.
Name: Zoe Johnson
Midwest Home: Detroit, MI
New Home: Portland, OR
My former husband worked for a company which was a support arm of the auto industry. We left the city of Detroit and moved to Portland. I have mixed feelings about the move but overall it was a good choice. I am self-employed which has been challenging.
My youngest daughter, who is 25, just moved from the Metro Detroit area in October of 2011. She had been without employment in Michigan for several years. She found a job immediately after arriving in the Portland Metro area and is much happier overall.
I would not move back to the Midwest. The culture and mindset is much different, the economy has suffered, and the infrastructure is grounded on old belief systems.
The values of the people here in the Pacific Northwest are more closely aligned with my own philosophy and values.