Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Tue December 21, 2010
Anonymous donor brightens red kettle campaign
An anonymous donor put a gold coin worth an estimated $1,400 into a Salvation Army worker's red kettle in northern Michigan.
The Associated Press reports:
Maj. Craig Stoker of the Salvation Army in Alpena tells The Alpena News that he received a call about 9 a.m. Saturday from a man who said he wanted to give something special to bell ringer Jackalyn Skiba. Stoker said the man declined to disclose the nature of the gift or why he had singled Skiba out... the money will be put into the Christmas fund, which to date has collected $129,000. This year's goal was $159,000.
The coin is reportedly in good condition.