Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- Those who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
Wed June 13, 2012
AP: House panel blocks funding for new Detroit bridge
LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Michigan Republican House lawmakers are attempting to block state spending by the governor to build another bridge across the Detroit River.
The House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday approved a supplemental budget that would prohibit using state money unless the Legislature authorizes construction of the bridge. Grandville Republican Rep. Dave Agema said Wednesday his goal in amending the supplemental budget is "to stop spending money" lawmakers didn't authorize.
Gov. Rick Snyder has met with Canadian officials and seeks to collaborate with that country to build a span that would supplement the privately owned Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor. Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel "Matty" Moroun has fiercely battled the proposal. He seeks to add a span to his own bridge instead. The Associated Press left a message with a Snyder spokeswoman.