Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Wed January 4, 2012
Artpod: Aretha Franklin is looking for next big opera star
We kick of the first Artpod of 2012 with an appearance by none other than the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.
I interviewed Franklin last month about her search for the next great opera star. That's right, opera star. Franklin wants to get in on the singing contest circuit, and she's turning her searchlight on the world of classical music.
So, all 18-40 year old classically trained singers, this week's podcast is for you.
Interested candidates can mail their audition materials here:
c/o Thav, Gross, Steinway & Bennett
30150 Telegraph Road
Bingham Farms, MI 48012
Franklin says she's look for a singer who is "very close to being accomplished," and she plans to listen cassette or CD that comes through the mail.
"If they’re a new artist who’s really got it, I’d like to hear them," says Franklin.
You can read a full transcript of the story on NPR's music blog.
Click here to subscribe to the Artpod podcast. Have a question, comment, or story idea for the podcast? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org