Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Wed January 4, 2012
Artpod: Aretha Franklin is looking for next big opera star
We kick of the first Artpod of 2012 with an appearance by none other than the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.
I interviewed Franklin last month about her search for the next great opera star. That's right, opera star. Franklin wants to get in on the singing contest circuit, and she's turning her searchlight on the world of classical music.
So, all 18-40 year old classically trained singers, this week's podcast is for you.
Interested candidates can mail their audition materials here:
c/o Thav, Gross, Steinway & Bennett
30150 Telegraph Road
Bingham Farms, MI 48012
Franklin says she's look for a singer who is "very close to being accomplished," and she plans to listen cassette or CD that comes through the mail.
"If they’re a new artist who’s really got it, I’d like to hear them," says Franklin.
You can read a full transcript of the story on NPR's music blog.
Click here to subscribe to the Artpod podcast. Have a question, comment, or story idea for the podcast? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org