Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Tue January 25, 2011
Artpod: Art & Fashion
Plus, we'll meet the man behind Motor City Denim and hear why an auto supplier is now getting ready to make jeans. According to a press release from the company, the line "will begin arriving in stores in early 2011."
In a related article, Model D Media spoke to Motor City Denim's Joe Faris about his decision to manufacture his fashion line in Detroit:
Faris says staying in the Detroit area was essential to creating his own line of clothing. "I was at the point where it was now or never," he says. "I just decided to focus on this and try to do it here."
His goal is to build up Motor City Denim Co., to eventually make it an international company, while capitalizing on the mystique surrounding Detroit. "We are an industrial town," he says. "We get things done. The auto industry being so prevalent here, we have reach all over the world. I want to incorporate our spirit in jeans."
"I think I really captured that with this collection," he continues. "Denim, dresses, corsets, denim and leather mixtures -- I'm taking the area as an inspiration, as an influence on my design work."
Arts on the Road