Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Tue May 3, 2011
Artpod: Arts Patronage 2.0
On today's Artpod, we'll take a look at how the image of the "rich" arts patron is starting to be re-imagined, thanks in large part to the internet.
Meet the artist...
We'll meet Dave MacDonald, a grad student finishing up his doctorate in music composition at Michigan State University. He wanted to get paid to write a new piece for saxophone, so he posted his project to a website called Kickstarter, where MacDonald says "anybody can be an arts patron and it doesn't require millions of dollars.
Meet the patron...
So what does the "new" arts patron look like? For that we'll turn to Grand Rapids resident Joe Force. He never contributed to any arts projects before Kickstarter. But now he checks out the site regularly, where he can contribute to projects from the comfort of his desk. So far he's funded at least 5 projects, and he says its feels "kind of nice to be a micro philanthropist of odd-little projects!"