Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Veteran treasure hunter solves the last 'Wyoming Riddle'
Fri October 8, 2010
ArtPrize winner announced
The winner of ArtPrize was announced last night in Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids-based artist Chris LaPorte came in first place with his life-size pencil drawing titled, "Cavalry, American Officers, 1921." LaPorte won $250,000. The drawing is based on a photograph that LaPorte saw in a Grand Rapids antique shop.
Dustin Dwyer reports that thousands of people gathered for the announcement. The 2nd place prize went to Mia Tavonnati of Santa Ana, California for her stained glass mosaic titled "Svelata."
All of the more than 1,700 pieces of art will remain in place through the weekend.