Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
Fri October 8, 2010
ArtPrize winner announced
The winner of ArtPrize was announced last night in Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids-based artist Chris LaPorte came in first place with his life-size pencil drawing titled, "Cavalry, American Officers, 1921." LaPorte won $250,000. The drawing is based on a photograph that LaPorte saw in a Grand Rapids antique shop.
Dustin Dwyer reports that thousands of people gathered for the announcement. The 2nd place prize went to Mia Tavonnati of Santa Ana, California for her stained glass mosaic titled "Svelata."
All of the more than 1,700 pieces of art will remain in place through the weekend.