Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Wed May 18, 2011
Bing: Human Services Dept. investigation will continue 'until we uncover every instance of abuse'
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing has suspended the director and several staff of the city’s Human Services Department. The department is believed to have misspent at least $200,000 intended for services to the poor.
Mayor Bing says an investigation is under way. He says it’s not clear yet how big the problem is, "but it is important enough to this administration, to this city and our indigent population that we act immediately to make sure that we right the wrongs."
Bing is recommending that the staff members who’ve been suspended be fired, pending the results of the investigation. He says he’s put other measures in place to ensure grant funds are properly spent. They include the requirement that all grant expenditures be authorized by the city’s finance department.