Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- This is what it sounds like inside Michigan's largest wind farm
Tue August 9, 2011
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan buys Medicaid insurer
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan is expanding its involvement in Medicaid coverage. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan joined a Pennsylvania Blue Cross to buy up a Medicaid health care plan based in Philadelphia. Amerihealth Mercy serves 4 million Medicaid patients in 11 states.
The Medicaid system is expected to add 16 million more recipients when the nation’s new health care law takes effect in 2014.
Helen Stojic is a spokeswoman for Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan.
“Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan not only will have an opportunity to play a role nationally, it will also want to look at Michigan…and how we can best serve the Michigan beneficiaries here who will be receiving Medicaid.”
Stojic says Blue Cross hopes to expand its current Medicaid coverage in Michigan, which at the moment is limited to three counties.