Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
Politics & Government
Fri February 28, 2014
Broke Detroit is on a hiring blitz
The most notoriously broke city in America is on a hiring spree.
The city of Detroit hosts a job fair today and tomorrow.
"There are more than 350 positions that are open at the city right now,” said Lisa Howze, chief of staff to Mayor Mike Duggan. “A great number of them are for police officers, bus drivers, mechanics, and various other departments have put out postings as well."
The city is looking to cut overtime costs and improve services as it works its way through bankruptcy.
More than 1,500 applicants pre-registered for the job fair.
City officials say they will give preference to Detroit residents and honorably discharged veterans.
The career fair runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and Saturday at Cobo Hall.