Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Mon April 23, 2012
Calling all artists! ArtPrize registration begins today
Artists can start registering today to compete in ArtPrize this fall.
The winner of the yearly art competition is decided by the voting public who visit the event in September in downtown Grand Rapids.
More than a half a million dollars in prize money is at stake. The entry fee is just fifty bucks.
For the first time this year there’ll be $200,000 in prizes for juried awards in addition to those awarded by the popular vote.
ArtPrize spokesman Brian Burch says juried awards are what professional artists are used to.
“It’s still kind of a reach for them that this big voting thing happens. But to know that their work will be seen by world-renowned art critics – there’s a huge advantage in that,” Burch said.
Burch expects more than 350,000 people will visit ArtPrize this year.
Artist registration begins online today at ArtPrize.org and ends May 24th.
ArtPrize 2012 begins in September 19thand runs for nearly three weeks.