Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Fri November 9, 2012
Chrysler to recall 919,000 SUVs to fix air bags
DETROIT (AP) - Chrysler is recalling more than 919,000 older-model Jeep SUVs worldwide because the air bags can inflate while people are driving them. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the recall affects Jeep Grand Cherokees from the 2002 through 2004 model years.
Also covered are Jeep Libertys from model years 2002 and 2003.
A part can fail in the air bag control computer, and the front and side air bags can inflate while the SUVs are being driven.
An investigation by the safety agency found that the air bags went off 215 times causing 81 minor injuries. No crashes were reported.
Chrysler, which makes Jeeps, will install an electrical harness to fix the problem. The company will begin notifying owners of the recall in January.