Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
Sat November 26, 2011
Cindy Van Andel, wife of Amway Chairman, dies at age 57
Amway Chairman Steve Van Andel issued a brief statement Saturday night:
"I am saddened by the loss of my loving wife Cindy Van Andel. She passed away Friday evening after a brief illness. Cindy has been my friend, confidant and partner for almost 33 years of marriage. She was a warm and caring person who could light up an entire room just by her smile. Her heart went out to all she met and she will be greatly missed."
Friends may meet the family at the Metcalf & Jonkhoff Funeral Home on Wednesday, November 30, 2-4 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. at 4231 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
A Celebration of Life will be held Thursday, December 1 at 1 p.m. at Keystone Community Church, 655 Spaulding Ave., Ada, Michigan. Private internment services to follow.
The family asks that memorial contributions be made to the Potter's House School, 810 Van Raalte Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, Michigan, in lieu of flowers.
A media spokesman with Amway declined to comment on what type of illness Van Andel suffered, citing privacy concerns.
Through their foundation the couple has given to a number of charitable organizations in West Michigan.
Amway is one of the largest direct selling companies in the world. Sales at the privately owned company were more than 9 billion in 2010.