Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Thu September 13, 2012
Coast Guard offers reward in Michigan laser case
MUSKEGON, Mich. (AP) - The U.S. Coast Guard is offering a $1,000 reward for information after someone directed a green laser at one of its helicopters during training off West Michigan.
The Coast Guard said Thursday that the laser was pointed at the helicopter the night of Aug. 17 from near Muskegon at Pioneer Park, where a group of people was seen around a campfire flashing a pattern of light signals. The Coast Guard says the people fled when a boat crew approached them.
No injuries were reported.
The Coast Guard warns that lasers can impair the vision of pilots. Cases of people pointing lasers at planes or helicopters have been reported elsewhere.
Tips in the case may be directed to the Coast Guard.