Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Thu March 10, 2011
Congressional hearing on the "Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community"
The Committee on Homeland Security is holding a hearing entitled “The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community's Response.”
ABC News reports:
Today’s House hearing on “The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and That Community’s Response” has created a firestorm of criticism by civil rights groups and Democrats who say that Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., is intentionally isolating Muslims.
Democrats and rights groups say he’s guilty of “modern-day McCarthyism,” and is using religion to divide Americans.
You can watch the hearing now on C-SPAN.
Here's King responding to critics of the hearing on a CBS affiliate:
Witnesses of the hearing include:
- Hon. John D. Dingell, A Representative in Congress from the 15th District of Michigan
- Hon. Keith Ellison, A Representative in Congress from the 5th District of Minnesota
- Hon. Frank Wolf, A Representative in Congress from the 10th District of Virginia
- Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser, President and Founder, American Islamic Forum for Democracy
- Mr. Abdirizak Bihi, Director, Somali Education and Social Advocacy Center
- Mr. Melvin Bledsoe, Private Citizen
- Sheriff Leroy Baca, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department