Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Thu February 24, 2011
Consumers Energy posts profit in 2010
Consumers Energy has been busy this week reconnecting tens of thousands of customers who lost power during last Sunday's ice & snow storm. So it could be argued the utility was due some good news. Today CMS Energy announced the Jackson-based utility profits increased last year.
CMS Energy announced today reported net income of $324 million, or $1.28 per share, for 2010 compared to reported net income of $218 million, or $0.91 per share, in 2009. The company's 2010 adjusted (non-Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) net income, which excludes the effects of legacy issues associated with previously sold assets and certain other items, was $345 million, or $1.36 per share, compared to $300 million, or $1.26 per share, in 2009. For the fourth quarter of 2010, the company's reported net income was $25 million, or $0.09 per share, compared to $6 million, or $0.02 per share, in the same quarter of 2009. The 2009 fourth quarter results reflect a one-time charge of $79 million linked to a refund order, which now is complete.