Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
Fri May 13, 2011
A conversation with Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer (audio)
Yesterday the state Senate passed a comprehensive tax overhaul bill. It went to the House where it was approved and it’s now headed to Governor Rick Snyder’s desk for his signature.
The tax overhaul includes the elimination of the Michigan Business Tax, in favor of a corporate profits tax. It also eliminates a host of tax breaks, including the income tax exemption for pensions.
Seven Republicans joined the twelve Democrats in the Senate in voting against the proposal. Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer is opposed to the tax restructuring
Michigan Radio's Jennifer White spoke with Whitmer. Here's the interview.