Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Thu July 14, 2011
Crowds wait for Betty Ford funeral to begin
The funeral itself is private, but around 200 people are lining the route close to the Grace Episcopal Church in East Grand Rapids.
Donna Smith and her husband, John, live just a couple blocks away from the church and got a great spot to view the precession pass by.
"She went through a lot personally and because of her strength in fighting breast cancer, alcoholism; just being a wonderful wife and mother and supporting her family," Donna Smith says. "I have a lot of respect for that."
The funeral begins at 2 p.m. Ford will be buried next to her late husband at the Gerald R. Ford Museum later today. That ceremony is also private.