Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Thu July 14, 2011
Crowds wait for Betty Ford funeral to begin
The funeral itself is private, but around 200 people are lining the route close to the Grace Episcopal Church in East Grand Rapids.
Donna Smith and her husband, John, live just a couple blocks away from the church and got a great spot to view the precession pass by.
"She went through a lot personally and because of her strength in fighting breast cancer, alcoholism; just being a wonderful wife and mother and supporting her family," Donna Smith says. "I have a lot of respect for that."
The funeral begins at 2 p.m. Ford will be buried next to her late husband at the Gerald R. Ford Museum later today. That ceremony is also private.