Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Tue July 23, 2013
The Daily Show takes on the Detroit bankruptcy, mostly makes fun of the media
Yesterday, The Daily Show’s John Oliver did a short feature on Detroit and the city’s bankruptcy.
In a bit entitled "Chapter 9 Mile," Oliver takes a humorous look at the slow emergency response in the city and his lack of surprise that the Emergency Manager, Kevyn Orr (a bankruptcy lawyer) declares bankruptcy.
But jabs at the media make for the greatest laughs. Oliver points out the abundance of bad puns about the bankruptcy and the amount of reporting on Detroit that actually takes place in Chicago.
Rest assured, here at Michigan Radio, our reports are coming directly from the city and we’ve done our best to keep the bad puns to a minimum.
-Julia Field, Michigan Radio Newsroom