Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Veteran treasure hunter solves the last 'Wyoming Riddle'
Tue July 23, 2013
The Daily Show takes on the Detroit bankruptcy, mostly makes fun of the media
Yesterday, The Daily Show’s John Oliver did a short feature on Detroit and the city’s bankruptcy.
In a bit entitled "Chapter 9 Mile," Oliver takes a humorous look at the slow emergency response in the city and his lack of surprise that the Emergency Manager, Kevyn Orr (a bankruptcy lawyer) declares bankruptcy.
But jabs at the media make for the greatest laughs. Oliver points out the abundance of bad puns about the bankruptcy and the amount of reporting on Detroit that actually takes place in Chicago.
Rest assured, here at Michigan Radio, our reports are coming directly from the city and we’ve done our best to keep the bad puns to a minimum.
-Julia Field, Michigan Radio Newsroom