Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Tue May 3, 2011
Detroit City Council continues hearings on budget
Budget hearings continue today in Detroit. The Detroit City Council’s budget, finance and audit standing committee will discuss the city's Finance Department budget later this afternoon, the Associated Press reports. From the AP:
The Detroit City Council is continuing hearings on Mayor Dave Bing's proposed 2011-12 budget…
Bing presented his proposed $3.1 billion budget to the council last month. He says the city faces a $155 million deficit that could swell in several years unless there are more cuts, and payments to two city pensions and health care expenses are reduced.
Bing met Monday with union leadership where he detailed needed concessions to help cut into the deficit.
The council is expected to make recommendations or changes to Bing's proposal. The new fiscal year begins July 1.