Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Mon June 6, 2011
Detroit City Council votes to override mayoral veto
The Detroit City Council voted today to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget and restore $50 million in cuts.
From The Detroit News:
The Detroit City Council voted this afternoon to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget for the second straight year.
The mayor, who worked in closed-door meetings during last week's Mackinac Policy Conference to reach a last-minute deal, was unable to deliver one. The council voted 8-1 to override Bing's veto, with only Councilman James Tate in opposition.
The council's spending plan included $50 million more in cuts to the proposal Bing delivered in April.
Mayor Bing has scheduled a news conference for 3:30 p.m. today to address the council's vote.
-Brian Short, Michigan Radio Newsroom