Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Mon June 6, 2011
Detroit City Council votes to override mayoral veto
The Detroit City Council voted today to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget and restore $50 million in cuts.
From The Detroit News:
The Detroit City Council voted this afternoon to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget for the second straight year.
The mayor, who worked in closed-door meetings during last week's Mackinac Policy Conference to reach a last-minute deal, was unable to deliver one. The council voted 8-1 to override Bing's veto, with only Councilman James Tate in opposition.
The council's spending plan included $50 million more in cuts to the proposal Bing delivered in April.
Mayor Bing has scheduled a news conference for 3:30 p.m. today to address the council's vote.
-Brian Short, Michigan Radio Newsroom