Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Mon June 6, 2011
Detroit City Council votes to override mayoral veto
The Detroit City Council voted today to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget and restore $50 million in cuts.
From The Detroit News:
The Detroit City Council voted this afternoon to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget for the second straight year.
The mayor, who worked in closed-door meetings during last week's Mackinac Policy Conference to reach a last-minute deal, was unable to deliver one. The council voted 8-1 to override Bing's veto, with only Councilman James Tate in opposition.
The council's spending plan included $50 million more in cuts to the proposal Bing delivered in April.
Mayor Bing has scheduled a news conference for 3:30 p.m. today to address the council's vote.
-Brian Short, Michigan Radio Newsroom