Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Mon June 6, 2011
Detroit City Council votes to override mayoral veto
The Detroit City Council voted today to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget and restore $50 million in cuts.
From The Detroit News:
The Detroit City Council voted this afternoon to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget for the second straight year.
The mayor, who worked in closed-door meetings during last week's Mackinac Policy Conference to reach a last-minute deal, was unable to deliver one. The council voted 8-1 to override Bing's veto, with only Councilman James Tate in opposition.
The council's spending plan included $50 million more in cuts to the proposal Bing delivered in April.
Mayor Bing has scheduled a news conference for 3:30 p.m. today to address the council's vote.
-Brian Short, Michigan Radio Newsroom