Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Revisiting the origin of the "Michigan Left"
- Here's how Michigan taxpayers came to own the designs for the original World Trade Center
- Here are 10 West Michigan trails to explore this fall
- Does the UAW's victory in Indiana signal the end of the two-tier wage system?
- Governor Snyder is fighting a losing game in Aramark scandal
Mon June 6, 2011
Detroit City Council votes to override mayoral veto
The Detroit City Council voted today to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget and restore $50 million in cuts.
From The Detroit News:
The Detroit City Council voted this afternoon to override Mayor Dave Bing's budget for the second straight year.
The mayor, who worked in closed-door meetings during last week's Mackinac Policy Conference to reach a last-minute deal, was unable to deliver one. The council voted 8-1 to override Bing's veto, with only Councilman James Tate in opposition.
The council's spending plan included $50 million more in cuts to the proposal Bing delivered in April.
Mayor Bing has scheduled a news conference for 3:30 p.m. today to address the council's vote.
-Brian Short, Michigan Radio Newsroom