Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This mom didn't know why her family was sick until she checked their water
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Here's how to test and treat your drinking water well for arsenic
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- The polarizing reactions to the 'Hobby Lobby' case are more frightening than the Cold War
Fri March 29, 2013
Detroit may see major downtown improvements
A story by Detroit Free Press Business writer, John Gallagher outlines a host of improvements and attractions coming to Detroit. Quicken Loans founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert described the high points of his vision:
Papa Joe's will set up shop in 15,000 square feet of ground floor retail space in the First National Building on Woodward at Campus Martius. The store will feature specialty foods, sit-down dining, a full bar and other amenities.
...Parisian-style sidewalk cafés, food carts, ground-floor retail that opens onto sidewalks, ice cream kiosks, pedestrian plazas and walkways, plus a host of other "placemaking" techniques that he said are on the way.
"We're all in," he told an audience of about 400 business and civic leaders invited to the City Theatre at the Hockeytown Café. "It's more than fluff ... A big chunk of this is going to happen this summer. It's agreed, funded."