Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Awkward: UAW official praises Democratic candidate for governor while the GOP incumbent listens
- Michigan Republican party fails to address Dave Agema's bigotry and hatred
- Ypsilanti family finds happiness in living off the land
- Michigan's student homelessness problem is growing
- Go lake trout! Native fish overcome seemingly ‘insurmountable’ challenges in Lake Huron
Fri March 29, 2013
Detroit may see major downtown improvements
A story by Detroit Free Press Business writer, John Gallagher outlines a host of improvements and attractions coming to Detroit. Quicken Loans founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert described the high points of his vision:
Papa Joe's will set up shop in 15,000 square feet of ground floor retail space in the First National Building on Woodward at Campus Martius. The store will feature specialty foods, sit-down dining, a full bar and other amenities.
...Parisian-style sidewalk cafés, food carts, ground-floor retail that opens onto sidewalks, ice cream kiosks, pedestrian plazas and walkways, plus a host of other "placemaking" techniques that he said are on the way.
"We're all in," he told an audience of about 400 business and civic leaders invited to the City Theatre at the Hockeytown Café. "It's more than fluff ... A big chunk of this is going to happen this summer. It's agreed, funded."