Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Revisiting the origin of the "Michigan Left"
- Here's how Michigan taxpayers came to own the designs for the original World Trade Center
- Here are 10 West Michigan trails to explore this fall
- What's behind Michigan Republicans' big turnaround on medical marijuana?
- Does the UAW's victory in Indiana signal the end of the two-tier wage system?
Wed June 11, 2014
Detroit Public Schools misses out on $4 million in Head Start funds
When you are a school district where more than 80% of your students live in poverty, every penny that helps those students is critical.
And that's why there has been a collective gasp of disbelief, even anger, with the news that Detroit Public Schools has lost $4 million in Head Start funding.
The reason DPS lost the money is because they missed the application deadline.
A school spokesperson blamed a technical problem in uploading the application.
Detroit Free Press columnist Rochelle Riley joined us on our show.
*Listen to our conversation with Rochelle above.