Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Wed June 11, 2014
Detroit Public Schools misses out on $4 million in Head Start funds
When you are a school district where more than 80% of your students live in poverty, every penny that helps those students is critical.
And that's why there has been a collective gasp of disbelief, even anger, with the news that Detroit Public Schools has lost $4 million in Head Start funding.
The reason DPS lost the money is because they missed the application deadline.
A school spokesperson blamed a technical problem in uploading the application.
Detroit Free Press columnist Rochelle Riley joined us on our show.
*Listen to our conversation with Rochelle above.