Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Signed a petition to oppose Asian carp? You actually signed a petition to allow wolf hunting
Mon November 21, 2011
Detroit schools emergency boss reports on finances
Roy Roberts has called a news conference for 11 a.m. to announce a six-month update and revised budget deficit projections.
In September, the district was facing a $327 million budget deficit. Its finances have been under state control since 2009.
Enrollment is about 66,000, down from 104,000 in 2007.
Detroit's schools have lost millions of dollars in state per-pupil funding as thousands of parents fled the district for city charters or suburban schools.
Detroit Public Schools