OpinionMore 'dark money' will influence politics in Michigan if Snyder doesn't veto
The Environment ReportGo lake trout! Native fish overcome seemingly ‘insurmountable’ challenges in Lake Huron
Politics & GovernmentIn his farewell speech Bing says, 'I will remain involved in Detroit's transformation'
Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Michigan Republican party fails to address Dave Agema's bigotry and hatred
Arts & Culture
Fri February 8, 2013
Detroit's 'Winter Blast' blasts off this weekend
The Motown Winter Blast is back this weekend in downtown Detroit.
The festival first began as part of the 2005 Super Bowl festivities.
This year organizers have three music stages with more than 50 entertainment acts.
(You can see a list of scheduled performers are here.)
To get in organizers are "charging" either one canned food item, a children’s book or $1 per person per day.
When can you go?
Friday February 8th, 11am-11pm
Saturday February 9th, 11am-11pm
Sunday February 10th, 11am-9pm
What can you do?
- Ice skating at Campus Martius Park
- Dogsled performances on Friday and Saturday
- Performances from the Detroit Skating Club Friday night and Saturday afternoon
- Interactive hockey games sponsored by the Detroit Red Wings
- Ice sculptures will be on display with on-site ice carving demonstrations on Friday
- There's kids stage with a magicians, jugglers and comedians
- And free snowshoes will be available in a variety of sizes for children and adults
Click here for a map of the event.
- Chris Zollars, Michigan Radio Newsroom