If you like a quieter holiday on the Fourth of July, there are 12 state parks hosting fireworks-free celebrations this year.
The state Department of Natural Resources organized the events after a veteran pointed out that Independence Day can be difficult for some former service members.
"For example, if you're a veteran and you possibly are suffering from PTSD, this is a way for you to know that you can have a 4th of July and not be concerned about having an episode," said Maia Turek, a recreation programmer with the DNR.
Here’s a list of the participating parks:
- Bewabic State Park (Iron County)
- Brighton Recreation Area-Bishop Lake Campground (Livingston County)
- Cheboygan State Park (Cheboygan County)
- Craig Lake State Park (Baraga County)
- Hayes State Park (Lenawee County)
- Lake Hudson State Park (Lenawee County)
- Leelanau State Park (Leelanau County)
- Menominee River State Recreation Area (Dickinson County)
- Orchard Beach State Park (Manistee County)
- Rifle River Recreation Area (Ogemaw County)
- Sleepy Hollow State Park (Clinton County)
- Wells State Park (Menominee County)
Online reservations can be made at MIdnrreservations.com