Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Sat October 29, 2011
Doctors warn against misusing contact lenses this Halloween
Michigan optometrists say be careful if you plan on wearing decorative contact lenses as part of your costume this Halloween.
The cat’s eye and other eerie looking contact lenses have grown in popularity in recent years.
Matt Maki is the president of the Michigan Optometric Association. He said if worn inappropriately decorative contact lenses could seriously damage a person’s eyes.
“Assuming they fit appropriately …worn appropriately….handled appropriately by the patient they’re fine. I have personally fit these for patients. Like I said, as long as it’s done appropriately there’s not an issue," said Maki.
Maki urged people planning on wearing decorative contact lenses this Halloween should learn how to properly clean and disinfect them.